Calallen ISD Homeless Liasion:
Director of Special Education
Texas Homeless Education Office
Parent Information - English
Parent Information - Spanish
Scholarship Opportunity for homeless students - Deadline June 30, 2017
The Texas Homeless Education Office (THEO) has launched a scholarship program specifically for students that were homeless in high school, The Barbara Wand James Homeless Student Support Scholarship. It is named in honor of THEO's long-term former director, Barbara Wand James.
This first year of the scholarship program there are funds to provide one, possibly two, students with a $1,000 scholarship for the 2017-2018 school year. The scholarship will be provided directly to the student - the purpose is to help provide assistance for needs that financial aid and student loans can't meet. The intent is that the award be used to help provide for basic needs such as food, transportation, housing over breaks...or academic needs such as books, supplies, or technology.
THEO wants to encourage everyone who can to apply. The eligibility criteria are:
1. Be a graduate or near graduation from a Texas high school and have at least a 2.5 GPA.
2. Already be accepted into a 2-year or 4-year accredited higher education institution.
3. Have been under the age of 21 on September 2016.
4. Have been homeless at some point while attending high school (grades 9 - 12).
5. Not eligible to receive a foster care tuition waiver.
The application is not difficult or lengthy. You can download it from the THEO website here:
Here is a flyer about the scholarship:
Here is a lengthier description of the scholarship:
Here is the scholarship page on the THEO website with all of these links and other information: